Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When to flash my car with Cobb AP?

So I'm just about to hit the 1,000 mile mark in my FiST and I've had a Cobb AP sitting in my closet since I bought the car. I'm itching to use it but have no problem waiting if further break in is required. My question is, what do you guys advise? Flash it and let a rip after and oil change? Wait a few more miles? When did you all flash yours? Thanks for the input!

CanadianST

I flashed mine right around 500km, just couldn't wait any longer. That being said I didn't start playing with it till I got over 1000km.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
So I'm just about to hit the 1,000 mile mark in my FiST and I've had a Cobb AP sitting in my closet since I bought the car. I'm itching to use it but have no problem waiting if further break in is required. My question is, what do you guys advise? Flash it and let a rip after and oil change? Wait a few more miles? When did you all flash yours? Thanks for the input!
I flashed mine when my AP showed up.

The answer to your question is: Whenever you damn well feel like it. There's no "best point".

I wonder if we should have a "Common AccessPort V3 Questions/Concerns" thread. This is like the 4th or 5th times this has been asked. Not being an ass or anything or anything against you. asking is fine.

Just sayin' maybe an FAQ about when you can install your accessport, whether or not your ford dealer can see that you've installed a tune (spoiler: they can't, 99.9% of dealers have neither the time equipment or expertise), whether or not your "distance to empty" reading absurdly high is normal (it is, it's off for the first 100 miles or so after a fresh tune) and whether a "spike" in boost to some absurd number is normal or not (sometimes your accessport will get false data reads and show some impossible number like 60psi of boost... spoiler alert, our turbos simply cant make that kind of boost)

what do you guys think?

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
No worries blue bomber, no offense taken. Thanks for all the info guys.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'm at 750 miles. Might as well order mine!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll get that big grin on your face[twothumb]

iso100

1000 Post Club
Wonder who would get it to MD faster... COBB or ModBargains.

Personally, it doesn't matter when you install the AP. What does matter is breaking the car in properly for peace of mind as well as mechanical reliability. Unfortunately when I got mine back in mid September, I was unable to break it in correctly as I had to use it as a company vehicle for a month which meant 600 mile highway slots twice a week with little variation in revs and engine loads.

I've been mega paranoid ever since about whether or not I'm getting the correct power/torque outputs, fuel economy, and so on. The cars original oil was changed at 680 miles and then again at 1500 but the paranoia and guilt remain.

I installed the AP at around 9000 miles and currently am just shy of 13000 with no seemingly I'll effects. I've tightened up my boost.hoses once over the winter (a miserable affair) and have changed the oil every 5000 miles despite the fact that it no longer sees more than 30 miles per day.

I'd say there is no reason not to install the AP as soon as you get your car but maybe watch your driving, especially high engine loading until you've gotten past the first 150 to 300 miles. That should be enough to break in your engine and suss out any premature issues. Luckily, these days we no longer need to adhere to a super strict break in process as we did in decades past as technology has moved forward quite a bit both mechanically and the fluids we use in our vehicles. Make sure to get your oil changed after your first 500 to 1000 miles and flush your tranny as well to eliminate any metal flake that could damage your internals. That should be you squared away.

OP
J
Thread Starter #15
Awesome guys. Got my oil changed yesterday and will be flashing the car today. Thanks for all the input.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Placed my order from CP-E a few minutes ago and at lunch I'm going to go pick it up since they're local to me. Yay!

I have about 820 miles on it now. I'll likely flash before driving home.

OP
J
Thread Starter #17
Flashed the car yesterday and I definitely feel a bit of difference. 1st gear still feels the same though. Doesn't the tune introduce boost into 1st? I'm running the stage 1 91 v102.