2019 Ford Edge first drive review

City
Las Vegas

When the freshened 2019 Ford Edge debuted at the Detroit auto show earlier this year, the addition of a hotter ST model naturally garnered most of the attention, thanks to its 335-horsepower twin-turbo V6, tighter suspension and sharper looks. Just as important, however, are the updated SE, SEL and Titanium models that will make up the bulk of Edge sales. And to experience the changes to the redesigned Edge first-hand, I jumped on a plane and headed to Utah.

Visually, the 2019 Ford Edge only undergoes mild visual alterations. The exterior receives a new hood, fascias, a wider grille, plus new liftgate and wheel designs, while the front fenders, doors and rear quarter panels carry over. My Stone Gray Metallic-painted test car also strikes a more premium look with an available Titanium Elite package that adds 20-inch wheels with dark-painted spoke inserts, body-color bumpers and side cladding, as well as a tasteful helping of chrome trim sprinkled throughout. Overall, it's a clean and attractive crossover, even if it doesn't look all that different from when this second-generation Edge debuted for 2015.

Slide into the cabin and things again don't seem all that different, with the only design update being a reconfigured center console that now houses a rotary gear shift dial. It's more compact than the old lever-style shifter, freeing up space for a larger storage compartment at the base of the center stack.

High-quality materials are used throughout, with the majority of the dash and door panels constructed of soft-touch surfaces, while some stitched panels and chrome and gloss black trim offer nice contrast. With the power front seats at their lowest position, the seating position is still high and I could do with more side bolstering, but space for front and rear passengers is respectable. Cargo space is plentiful, measuring 39.2 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 73.4 with them folded, offering enough room for some serious Ikea shopping trips.

Read more on CNET.