Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Expansion tank

Btabs

City
Tolleabuey
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2005 fiesta
Hi my expansion tank has a slight leak around the cap I have replaced the cap and there is still a tiny bit of fluid coming through can this be fixed with out getting a new tank and is it ok to drive for now?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Get the tank and cap replaced as soon as possible!
These plastic expansion tanks are an engine blowing time bomb. Our engines run very hot. The expansion tanks get very hot and then cool to ambient temperature . They are a highly stressed component. I have seen them fail within 50 thousand miles. Generally, they can be trusted to last for about five years. I make a easily visible full mark with a felt tip pen and monitor the "cold" full level. These components will often times begin "weeping"coolant before they fail.
At motorway speeds the engine will overheat and expire within a few kilometers when the tank decides to give up! I replaced the 2nd tank on my 2011 1.6 SE hatchback this past June, i was at a fuel station and opened the hood to connect some jumper cables to an elderly womans car who had a dead battery. When i revved my engine, a tiny orange fountain of coolant appeared on top of the expansion tank! It had begun to fail at one of the circular indents that are made when it's released from the mold cavity. This part was 3 years old!