Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Looking for an exhaust/ Performance muffler

City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Hello! I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE, 4 Cylinder 1.6L. I really want to make my Fiesta sound a little meaner when driving and am having a really hard time find an exhaust system or performance muffler that doesn’t need welded on for the SE. There’s a lot of options for the ST but it doesn’t seem many for the SE. Could someone please help me?

City
So Cal
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta S 1998 Ford ZX2
Hello! I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE, 4 Cylinder 1.6L. I really want to make my Fiesta sound a little meaner when driving and am having a really hard time find an exhaust system or performance muffler that doesn’t need welded on for the SE. There’s a lot of options for the ST but it doesn’t seem many for the SE. Could someone please help me?
The systems for the ST should fit the SE. I have a stock ST exhaust that I put on my S hatchback. It bolted right up, no welding was necessary. I think it sounds really good, however, it isn't that loud inside the car. I'll try to post up a video clip soon so you can hear it.

OP
cwendell275
City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
The systems for the ST should fit the SE. I have a stock ST exhaust that I put on my S hatchback. It bolted right up, no welding was necessary. I think it sounds really good, however, it isn't that loud inside the car. I'll try to post up a video clip soon so you can hear it.
That’s awesome to hear!! I wasn’t sure if the ST ones would fit the S. It seems like it’s very difficult to find modification information for the S since it’s not a super popular thing to modify. I would love to hear a clip of the exhaust when you get a chance :]

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
You can find used ST exhausts sometimes on the Fiesta ST forum.

City
So Cal
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Ford Fiesta S 1998 Ford ZX2
That’s awesome to hear!! I wasn’t sure if the ST ones would fit the S. It seems like it’s very difficult to find modification information for the S since it’s not a super popular thing to modify. I would love to hear a clip of the exhaust when you get a chance :]
Here goes the clip of the exhaust note (from inside the car)

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Same it off and straight pipe it. That’s what I did and it’s free (of you have a grinder or a welder lol) sounds great and spits a lot of fire
I was gonna suggest a resonator delete. Guess it depends how loud you want to go. Or how much you like your neighbors. :p

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'm looking into a section of "chambered exhaust pipe". Two types are offered. The first is the chambered pipe and the second one is a glass pack version

OP
cwendell275
City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #13
I was gonna suggest a resonator delete. Guess it depends how loud you want to go. Or how much you like your neighbors. :p
Coming back to this thread lol! I’ve been having a lot of trouble trying to find a stock ST exhaust and kinda wanna go the resonator delete route. I’m diving in but still new to a lot of the car stuff and was wondering if you had any links or information to a resonator delete guide? Or should I just take it to a shop to get done?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
There is no "guide". I guess that some kind of general outline of the effects of removing a given exhaust component would be useful.
My experience, because this is a very objective observation...
On the Fiesta.
If you remove just the resonator, you will get a more "hollow" sound. The noise level will increase more dramatically as you rev the engine. Depending on the internal condition of the muffler baffles you might get a rasping or slight popping sound when you shift.
If you remove just the muffler. You will get much more noise at all rpm. Much more popping and rasping during shifting. None of which i could describe as tuned. It will sound like a car that needs to get a goddamn muffler put on it.
Dual path performance muffler (IE; Borla, Dynomax, Magnaflow etc)
I am discussing these as replacement mufflers on the stock exhaust system. Hanger pins and normal installing labor is required here. That includes welding, cutting and minor fitting. All easily done at a muffler shop.
If you leave the stock resonator and pipe then add a performance type muffler of a close dimension to the original muffler, you will have a slightly more aggressive sound when you accelerate and slightly more pop and rumble during idle. The levels of exhaust note will vary with the brand that is chosen. I love the mellow tone of Borla mufflers at the high end of cost and Dynomax at the more economical end.
Magnaflow is available in a whole system or as just the muffler. They are not bargain bin priced in either case, like Borla or Injen or some of the boutique brands. A buyer can really go off the deep end here! You can literally spend almost the retail value of a average mileage used fiesta on just an exhaust system. And see ZERO performance improvement!
Last but not least. Chambered exhaust. Several configurations are available. Some of these have a fiberglass packing in addition to the engineered internal chambering. Most designs are patented and unique to the particular brand. I love most of the ones i have experienced. They are."un-cheap" but i can't call anything like this "expensive". Chambered exhaust is ordered by length and diameter according to the required or available space. They can provide an almost musical note to an exhaust sound. They are by design, very low restriction. This type of system requires that you have an understanding of the requirements for the best configuration. I had a chambered system on a 1991 Taurus SHO that was just magical. It would pop and burble softly at idle and then simply wail like a banchee at the redline when i was iceracing it at speed. I am biased toward this type of system.

OP
cwendell275
City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #15
There is no "guide". I guess that some kind of general outline of the effects of removing a given exhaust component would be useful.
My experience, because this is a very objective observation...
On the Fiesta.
If you remove just the resonator, you will get a more "hollow" sound. The noise level will increase more dramatically as you rev the engine. Depending on the internal condition of the muffler baffles you might get a rasping or slight popping sound when you shift.
If you remove just the muffler. You will get much more noise at all rpm. Much more popping and rasping during shifting. None of which i could describe as tuned. It will sound like a car that needs to get a goddamn muffler put on it.
Dual path performance muffler (IE; Borla, Dynomax, Magnaflow etc)
I am discussing these as replacement mufflers on the stock exhaust system. Hanger pins and normal installing labor is required here. That includes welding, cutting and minor fitting. All easily done at a muffler shop.
If you leave the stock resonator and pipe then add a performance type muffler of a close dimension to the original muffler, you will have a slightly more aggressive sound when you accelerate and slightly more pop and rumble during idle. The levels of exhaust note will vary with the brand that is chosen. I love the mellow tone of Borla mufflers at the high end of cost and Dynomax at the more economical end.
Magnaflow is available in a whole system or as just the muffler. They are not bargain bin priced in either case, like Borla or Injen or some of the boutique brands. A buyer can really go off the deep end here! You can literally spend almost the retail value of a average mileage used fiesta on just an exhaust system. And see ZERO performance improvement!
Last but not least. Chambered exhaust. Several configurations are available. Some of these have a fiberglass packing in addition to the engineered internal chambering. Most designs are patented and unique to the particular brand. I love most of the ones i have experienced. They are."un-cheap" but i can't call anything like this "expensive". Chambered exhaust is ordered by length and diameter according to the required or available space. They can provide an almost musical note to an exhaust sound. They are by design, very low restriction. This type of system requires that you have an understanding of the requirements for the best configuration. I had a chambered system on a 1991 Taurus SHO that was just magical. It would pop and burble softly at idle and then simply wail like a banchee at the redline when i was iceracing it at speed. I am biased toward this type of system.
This was absolutely fantastic. Thank you so very much!! I will definitely be taking away some great information. It’s hard learning stuff when online research only goes so far, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You would probably be a very happy fiesta owner if you choose Borla, Dynomax, Flowmaster or Magnaflow in a configuration that closely matches the O.E. muffler! For purposes of choosing an performance muffler that matches the original you want to find a Round, 16 inch length, 6 inches in diameter with inlet and outlet that are 2.5 inch diameter and positioned. In the dead center of both ends. 2.5 inch is generally the smallest diameter of inlet and outlet that are available on a genuine "performance muffler". The muffler shop of your choice would have no issues adapting and installing a good quality piece.

OP
cwendell275
City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #17
You would probably be a very happy fiesta owner if you choose Borla, Dynomax, Flowmaster or Magnaflow in a configuration that closely matches the O.E. muffler! For purposes of choosing an performance muffler that matches the original you want to find a Round, 16 inch length, 6 inches in diameter with inlet and outlet that are 2.5 inch diameter and positioned. In the dead center of both ends. 2.5 inch is generally the smallest diameter of inlet and outlet that are available on a genuine "performance muffler". The muffler shop of your choice would have no issues adapting and installing a good quality piece.
Sorry, just now getting to reply! Thank you so very much, I will most definitely be making my decision soon and making some purchases. I very much appreciate you taking the time to inform me and help me out!!