Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Mechanical temp gauge

Tom gee

City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Ford fiesta
Has anyone installed manual temp gaige on a 2014 fiesta .. Amy links on how too to what to order
Any help woukd be appreciated

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
By " manual", do you mean " mechanical" type temperature gauge? If yes, why?

OP
T

Tom gee

City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Ford fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hey there I just prefer to have a a actual Guage rather then the bars ..yes mechanical I've had a few issues with the heating system and just don't trust the bar graph on the dash seems to always be at 4 bars or half ...

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would recommend that you just use an electrical, resistance type temperature gauge. The factory temperature gauge outputs are heavily buffered because the gauge would be telling us that the engine is damn near ready to overheat under some situations.
I don't know what the Summit racing parts of Canada is, but you shouldn't consider anything except a known high quality brand for the gauge you finally get. You can get an enhanced scan tool that has the ability to show you how much the operating temperature can climb under seemingly normal use.
I would make sure that the sensor is located as close to the cylinder head coolant exit as reasonably possible. That is the best tell of engine temperature.
Just be sure to power it separate from the engine and instrument panel circuits. Pick a circuit that is hot at keyon and meets the amperage required.
I have to add that you should get rid of the coolant reservoir and install a new one. Reservoirs age out within three years of age. When they fail it is often sudden and catastrophic.

OP
T

Tom gee

City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Ford fiesta
Thread Starter #5
Thank u for detailed answer... I will look at the summit catalog...
What about the reservoir.. how does it fail....

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The reservoir can fail in any of several areas. I personally have seen them fail at the seam between the upper and lower halves, on the top at a mold release mark and also had the neck of the filler crack. I thought that the cap had failed! It was the threaded neck. Take a Sharpie pen and tattoo the install date on the damn thing when it's installed. I won't trust them for over three years of age.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There is also a built in Thermometer that those 4-bars (bar graph) works with - it might give you an idea as to the dynamic rise and fall of the engine coolant temperature as you drive, then stop and idle or slowly move along in traffic.

IF you are aware - there is a HEC test mode.

PDF to do it is attached.

When you're parked, try to do a practice set of runs and uses with it before you start to drive - so this several times so you're comfortable with the display information.

As you use the HEC, the POD consoles Analog gauges works normally unless it's in the GAUGE setting - so if you just want to see the TEMP or the Throttle or even RPM - you can set this mode then just drive to see the comparison to LOGIC to the Analog POD display gauges.

You don't have the upper info display like you'd normally see - so the HEC is a rather power tool but don't let it get in your way of driving - you can use it to help understand the gauges, Fuel - Throttle and temperature of the sensor reading.

The HEC can help offset the desire to find another gauge that although is nice to have - forces you into a position of having to install something you may not need the use of later once you're done with the diagnostic of temperature

Attachments