Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

5th to 6th Gear Change Sticking

I have owned my 2016 ST for just 3 days.
Sometimes the shifter hangs up between 5th and 6th. In these cases, I have to move the shifter to the middle position before continuing to 6th.
Anyone else having this issue? I will take it to the dealer if needed, but hate the hassle.

I would bring it straight back to the dealer. It's probably just interference with something by the linkage on the transmission. Considering you've only had the car 3 days they should be willing to take you right away.

I find that the shifters natural inclination is to go into 4 from 5... I have modified the way I push the shifter, (for 5-6 only), to ensure it goes where I want it. There's no binding, grinding, popping of anything like that so I take it as normal.

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #4
Well, after a week of driving, it is not a fault of the car. I am 6' tall and 245 lbs. So I sit back quite a bit. I am thankful for the extendable steering column, but do not have a good grasp on the shifter. If I keep firm pressure to the right when making the 5 to 6 shift it is fine. I think a boomba shifter is in my future. It is angled 30 degrees back, and a shorter throw will keep 5th gear a little closer!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well, after a week of driving, it is not a fault of the car. I am 6' tall and 245 lbs. So I sit back quite a bit. I am thankful for the extendable steering column, but do not have a good grasp on the shifter. If I keep firm pressure to the right when making the 5 to 6 shift it is fine. I think a boomba shifter is in my future. It is angled 30 degrees back, and a shorter throw will keep 5th gear a little closer!
This might work better/enhance the short shifter.
http://deadhookmotorsports.com/Fiesta-and-Focus-ST-Shifter-Extension

jayrod1980

Maybe I just sit up too straight, but with the wheel up all the way and pulled out toward me, I have no problem with resting my arm or shifting and I'm 6'3 and 220lbs. I do have long arms and long torso though so your miles may vary. Seems like someone else said, that there's something caught. I have the fswerks shift plate in the 25% reduction position and it feels wonderful. Makes the shifter feel like the old evo 8 my brother used to have. Sixth glides in just fine but the shifter does naturally want to go from 5th into 4th. I just have trained myself to pull down and out for 6th and I don't notice anymore.

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #9
Ok, got the Boomba shifter and trans bracket installed. 40% reduction in throw. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Use blue locktite on all trans bracket hardware. Drove all day maybe 100 miles of PERFECT shifting. Best mod so far!