Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Damond Occ or mishimoto Occ

The mishi is nice, but in my opinion the Damond is the best catch can for our car. Compared to the Mishi, it has larger capacity, VTA option, and I think is better located.

Dont know about the mishi but i went with damond and am happy i did. everything installed super easily, great quality and i love the drain valve and vta option. hoses are exact dit. just find their instructions online and follow them to the tee

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the opinion....at what mileage did you guys install the Occ?

rexdriver85

I just ordered the Damond today. I waited until all the OCC's were released (So far) and decided the Damond was the best for me. The location, capacity, plug and play fitment, and ease of draining were all factors for me.

I'm at 13k now.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the opinion....at what mileage did you guys install the Occ?

I installed the Damond about 1.5 months ago or so, perfect fit, well made. Emptied once so far and had some oil, maybe 2-3 teaspoons... i routed my drainline to the wheelwell so I can drain by turning the wheel and putting a bowl under the hose, then turn the knob from the top to drain. I installed mine @3k miles

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Installed Diamond Motorsports OCC in my 2016 at 1300 miles. Simple install....plug and play. Pull 1 hose, plug in 2 new hoses, install OCC with 1 nut, route drain hose....couple of cable ties....DONE. Spent 5 minutes assembling unit prior to install. Total time not more than 30 minutes. Simply open valve to drain to a cup you place under the hose. Very well made and (thanks, Matt!) they even did one in yellow hoses for me. So, nice product, easy install, helpful staff. My kind of people to deal with.

I'll put a vote in for Mishi? Isn't the Damond rear mount? I wouldn't call that an advantage at all. The Mishi is also easy to install, comes with factory connectors (the less clamps the better) and can be emptied in different ways. I chose a drain valve under the can. Can't be easier. Open the hood, put a paper cup (or whatever) under the can and open the valve. No drain hoses required.It also follows the direction of the factory plumbing, which drains back to front. As for capacity, that's a non issue regardless of the can you choose. You can go thousands of miles on any of the cans before worrying about emptying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Damond can have a drain hose that routes to the bottom of the car? It seems to me that even when you do drain it, most of the oil is just going to cling to the drain hose anyway?

Both good cans. The Mishi location and stock connectors just make more sense to me. Look at the path of both setups. The first Damond hose goes all the way up front, then u-turns all the way back to the can. Then it exits the can to the front of the car again. The Mishi can sits where the Damond u-turns, making both hoses much shorter. The less oil sitting in hoses (or drain hoses) the better.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I also considered the Mishimoto but I was looking for easy installation and draining. Cost was also a factor, so based on that I chose the Diamond as they both have factory connectors and the same number of worm drive clamps. In 50 years of wrenching I have never seen a worm drive clamp fail much less on a vacuum line so that was a non issue to me. The Mishimoto looks like a great OCC in itself but the basically one nut installation on the Diamond and under the car drain sold this lazy ole dude! Can't say whether the hose will drip or not but again a non issue as I will be putting a plug in the end of the drain hose to keep in from plugging up with dirt anyway. The great thing is that we have choices in these and other items for our cars due to many good companies and products for us to choose from. I am still waiting for the my Mishimoto 2016 intake hose on order......Mishimoto makes really high quality products.

We owners are an amazing group of people.....how many folks would think it normal to take a brand new car and quickly fill a box with all the parts we have removed and replaced on our cars? And worse yet drool and plot how to do more changes. Wrench on!

I also considered the Mishimoto but I was looking for easy installation and draining. Cost was also a factor, so based on that I chose the Diamond as they both have factory connectors and the same number of worm drive clamps. In 50 years of wrenching I have never seen a worm drive clamp fail much less on a vacuum line so that was a non issue to me. The Mishimoto looks like a great OCC in itself but the basically one nut installation on the Diamond and under the car drain sold this lazy ole dude! Can't say whether the hose will drip or not but again a non issue as I will be putting a plug in the end of the drain hose to keep in from plugging up with dirt anyway. The great thing is that we have choices in these and other items for our cars due to many good companies and products for us to choose from. I am still waiting for the my Mishimoto 2016 intake hose on order......Mishimoto makes really high quality products.

We owners are an amazing group of people.....how many folks would think it normal to take a brand new car and quickly fill a box with all the parts we have removed and replaced on our cars? And worse yet drool and plot how to do more changes. Wrench on!
Yup, good to have choices. I just want to make sure folks don't think emptying the Mishi is hard. It's easier, in fact, than the Damond. You can put in a drain hose like the Damond, or better yet, just install the drain valve directly to the bottom of the can. This way the Mishi drains from the top of the car without even getting under the car, no tools. Just flip the valve and done. I used a $6 valve from Amazon as opposed to paying for a "drain kit" from Mishi.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Diamond Motor Sports OCC installed

Installed last weekend! Love the Yellow Hoses.

ScreenHunter_79 Jun. 20 19.11.jpg ScreenHunter_77 Jun. 20 19.10.jpg ScreenHunter_82 Jun. 20 19.12.jpg

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
After 5000 miles this is what the Diamond OCC filtered out. 25ml or .85 ounces I guess is a good thing because it is not cooked on my valves.

20160818_154842.jpg

Wow, more than I thought but it's doing its job. I went with the Damond as well but I haven't drained it yet I'm going to wait till I change my oil at 3K and see what a couple of thousand miles worth looks like

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have changed the oil twice in that time but wanted to see 5K on the OCC. Did the math....that is about 1/2 quart per 100K miles NOT being deposited on the back of your valves. I wonder if running two in series would tell us how effective the single one is? For example if the second catches zero then the single OCC is 100% effective....on the other hand if the second catches half as much as the first that would worry me!

install the oil catch can as soon as you get the car from the dealer!!!! should be your first mod.why? because of low speed pre ignition.[wave]

Hey guys, I decided to empty my Damond OCC today. Installed at 20,000 miles emptied at 24,500 miles (mileage on my 2014 GE as of today). Here is your pic. It feels really good to see all that oil is not going back into my intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk