Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 Ford Fiesta 1.0 titanium ecoboost Automatic

cedrica

City
Centurion
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Ecoboost titanium
Hello everyone
There is a strange squeaking sound coming from the engine, you can also hear it inside the car when it’s idling, this sound is only there when the car is cold, once it is heated up, there is no sound at all. When on idle you can hear it and if I rev it slightly the sound is gone. Been to the garage multiple times and they don’t know. Some say it’s the engine mounting but I doubt it, however when I go I’ve a speed bump that sound comes not sure if it’s just coincidence with regards to shocks and engine sound.
Your guidance and help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Best to look at the motor when you hear this squeaking noise.

So pop open the hood and watch this motor and even engage the AC to see if loading changes the noise or makes it go away.

To say "Motor mount" the mounts are located under the engine so that means you'll have to observe (carefully) under the engine to see or hear the noise in volume. IF it is much louder, then you can suspect motor mounts because the noises are in the crankshaft and the areas that "hold" that gyration in place - being the Motor mounts themselves.

But...you'd see the engine shaking to the beat of the squeak...

When you add in "heated up" (warm up the motor it goes away) this may mean more of a bearing or belt noise than a motor mounting problem. For the mounts carry heat away to a degree, but the cooling system does 99% of the rest of that work, which may; by squeak alone, mean a water pump bearing or belt to pulley problems are happening - being that Water Pump, Alternator and AC units are on the SERPENTINE. To verify, which, if possible - if the belt is removed for this test - engine is restarted and the squeak goes away (run) less than a minute - then reinstalled and squeak returns, removes all doubt that the mounts are not the issue, something in the pulley system is.

The Belt is a stretchy EDPM type (Extremely Dense Polymer Material) (Actually its' EPDM)

1688077311178.png
1688081957725.png

so it would be "derailed" to get it off - then rerailed to put it back on, I mean that it has no "snugger or tensioner" it's on for it's life and you change it - which may be all that this is.

Last edited:
OP
C

cedrica

City
Centurion
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Hi Handy Andy
Thank you for your response and apologies for my late response. I started the vehicle when cold and tried switching aircon on and sound was still there. Tried putting heater on and sound still there. I have attached 2 sound clips, when you have some time please listen to them. If I remember correctly I only experience this issue in winter, I have not heard this sound in summer. I want to pour water onto the belt when the sound is there to see if there is a difference. I will let you know, I am hesitant in spraying q20 as the belt might slip.
Kind regards
Cedric

OP
C

cedrica

City
Centurion
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Tried uploading clips and had to zip them

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
No, you wouldn't need to use some form of "Anti-squeak" formula. It's best just to listen for it and observe any changes in the engines behavior - you'll need to pay some attention to this as idle speed and the squeak going hand-in-hand usually means a failure or potential future failure - of a bearing within the serpentines' belt route it takes.

There is also a possibility of a band failure in the belt - which usually the cheaper route to take is to just replace the belt

But that requires inspection.

1688554234934.png

This also begs the question,

How many Miles?

So if it's over 50K or you don't or can't even remember if this has been done before - the good rule of thumb is to replace the belt - for age and hidden failures are possible even within the webbing of the belts own groove and teeth it uses to hold itself onto the pulleys. The older it' is, the Shorter the Length of Time In-between Failures.(Mean Time Between Failures or MTBF) - so best to use the process of elimination and just replace the belt if the belt is bad or has glazing on it - from a stopped pulley, then more than likely it also indicates a dragging or friction on the system when that did occur.

You'll have to find it under, in the grooving, or above on the flats - and see if any shiny spot had developed, then try to fit the clues to the facts - being if it's shiny on the top, the water pump - if it's scruffy and broken up on the bottom, the AC or Alternator (look at the length of scruff - long = AC - Short = Possibly Alternator)

With the belt off, you can then see if you can turn any of the open pulleys by hand any scrub, rub or squeak, even a groan or wobble - would mean the part needs replacement.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, if a picture is worth a thousand words.

Then to see this as what I'd call - The "Book"

We'll start with the Cover...

IF you have a squeak - then not only do you check the engine and belts - did you even bother to look on the UNDERSIDE of the hood?

1688987764444.png

Whatever gets thrown around inside - that squeak may be from many things - start your investigation by looking under the hood, literally...