Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Steering Concern

NightHawk

City
Detroit
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta
Hello, I am new to the forum and thought I'd share some of my issues I've had while attempting to repair my fiesta.

It's a 2016 titanium hatchback.

I have just completely redone the lower suspension (struts, lower control arms, cv axles, brakes/rotors, and sway bar links) as well as replacing the steering column.

I'm facing an issue where while parked and turning the wheel, the car is visibly shifting from side to side. You can also feel it if it is turned hard enough. All components are new and I made sure to torque everything down to spec. It was involved in a minor accident but I don't see any signs of frame damage along the rail. Dropped subframe and replaced all tty bolts with new ones. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When vehicles get into accidents front end or otherwise, the sub-carraige and the frame - need to match to "hold and fixate" the carriage to the body of the car - can not help but wonder if those "locking tabs" as I call them - are not meshing well and even though bolts are there to fasten them - the frame to carriage still might not be right.

Sadly one of the many reasons vehicles in simple accidents today are getting totaled is due to tears and deformations of those critical key locking parts - like pieces to a puzzle - that if they don't interlock correctly - the chances of putting the car back on the road are slim to none - it can't handle the torque

There may be hope with cross-bracing but you'll have to know where the loose/weak or torn section is, to brace across it with something to hold it.

The Fiesta has little in cross bracing when it comes stock so many race enthusiasts put undercarriage bracing on to hold the frame and engine carriages so the torque doesn't twist the motor off the car.

Might want to look around the internet for it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The subframe bolts require a torque procedure that is reminiscent of tightening down a cylinder head to the engine block.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Then too...

I have seen frames cracked at the bumper to carriage flanges and seats - where the bolts are still there but the welds to hold the plate and the bumper to the rest of the car are sheared, as in gone - left in the bottom of the O-tube to rust and rattle.

That may be what this is, a loose front crash bar to front frame - that may be why the torque of the wheels makes the car tend to shift. IF it's been in a front end bump or collision - the "push" onto the flare of those flanges can shear off welds and or the bolts / studs used to hold the front bumper to the rest of the car - so the final endpoint where the flexing could stop is not there to hold the front carriage in place because the bumper to O-tube mounts are sheared.