Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Drying towels

ebt

City
Fareham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta TDCI Titanium
Hi all, I’m being bombarded to adverts for “drying towels” on Facebook and generally on Amazon etc.

My question is, are they any good ? I’m prepared to buy one (they’re not cheap) if they actually work as well as they say they do.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations please ?

ebt…..

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Before getting into drying towels, what is your wash procedure? The use of a drying towel can do more damage if not properly executed.
I have some threads <<HERE>> for you to peruse if you would like, starting with JP's GT Tech Introduction to Detailing 101.

When using a drying towel, it is paramount that you use a detailing spray or drying aid to help with lubricating the surface.

Microfiber is your best bet. Gone are the days of chamois or rag towels.
1. Microfiber for auto detailing are a combination of polyester and polyamide. The polyester gives the towel strength, the polyamide gives it absorbency. Automotive quality towels will be constructed of 70% polyester/30% polyamide.
2. Next the GSM (grams/sq meter) gives a measure of the weight of the towel or density of how many fibers. Generally 350 GSM for cleaning, 500 GSM for waxing, 600 GSM for waterless/rinceless washes and 1000 GSM for drying. Included in that will also be the "pile" or length of the fibers. A drying towel should have a thick pile. Inversely, a glass towel will have a very low pile. Also consider the size of the towel, a large towel can cover larger areas before becoming saturated and requiring a good wringing.

In short, A high pile 1000 GSM 70/30 microfiber towel.

I also have this post in my JP's GT How to properly wash your car on drying technique

Last edited:
OP
E

ebt

City
Fareham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta TDCI Titanium
Thread Starter #3
Before getting into drying towels, what is your wash procedure? The use of a drying towel can do more damage if not properly executed.
I have some threads <<HERE>> for you to peruse if you would like, starting with JP's GT Tech Introduction to Detailing 101.

When using a drying towel, it is paramount that you use a detailing spray or drying aid to help with lubricating the surface.

Microfiber is your best bet. Gone are the days of chamois or rag towels.
1. Microfiber for auto detailing are a combination of polyester and polyamide. The polyester gives the towel strength, the polyamide gives it absorbency. Automotive quality towels will be constructed of 70% polyester/30% polyamide.
2. Next the GSM (grams/sq meter) gives a measure of the weight of the towel or density of how many fibers. Generally 350 GSM for cleaning, 500 GSM for waxing, 600 GSM for waterless/rinceless washes and 1000 GSM for drying. Included in that will also be the "pile" or length of the fibers. A drying towel should have a thick pile. Inversely, a glass towel will have a very low pile. Also consider the size of the towel, a large towel can cover larger areas before becoming saturated and requiring a good wringing.

In short, A high pile 1000 GSM 70/30 microfiber towel.

I also have this post in my JP's GT How to properly wash your car on drying technique
Thank you very much indeed. I’m not into detailing, just like to keep my car looking decent and am looking for an effective and easy to use method of removing the water after a good rinse.

Attachments

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Using a mechanical method of drying can cause abrasive fine material to be dragged across the paint. Regular washing will be necessary to help keep grime and fine material from building up. Be careful around body seams/door edges, wheel well openings and lights. Dirt and grime build up in those areas. Do you hand wash or coin wash? Hand wash is your best bet and can be relaxing with some music and a pint on nice day. You can purchase products that will lubricate for drying and apply a protective slick coating at the same time.
Lucas SlickMist
ChemicalGuys HydroSpeed
It can be as easy as wash-spray-wipe.