Anyone found an aftermarket tow hitch for the EcoSport?

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport SE
So my dealer thinks he found the Ford plug to use. It's on order. I will update with the part number, if it's the right one.
Any update on the part number? I'm dealing with the same issue trying to get the darn plug. Cannot find any info on it ANYWHERE. Had to get a few bales of hay for my horses yesterday with no trailer lights..... Prewiring by the factor is no good if they don't give you the proper information/parts to be usable.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely in love with this car!

roemmelt

State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 EcoSport SES
I love mine too. I just went to my local RV/Trailer folks and they did it all. they found the wiring, picked out the adapter, and mounted the hitch and everything else and about the same cost of just the FORD OEM harness what ever it is and where ever it lives and what ever the cost.

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport SE
Wow....this pre-wiring thing is a joke and no one at Ford seems to know what's going on. I had one dealership order me a connector that goes to the pre-wiring on the back of the vehicle. I hooked it up only to find that there was no current. After spending 4 hours at the dealership yesterday, where they tried to figure it out....they tried to tell me it doesn't have the module that connects to the electrical system and it would be $500-$700 to have that installed. They really need to do a better job of explaining the factory "pre-wiring" to their salesmen so they can, in turn, explain it to the purchaser. I'm very disappointed in Ford. To me, "pre-wiring" is false advertising, as it would imply that everything's ready to go, you just need to plug and play. The lack of information out there is astounding and very frustrating.
I'll be installing my own wiring...for $75. Part No is FT1Z15A416A.
No one has t-connectors out there for the 2018 Ecosport so it will require splicing but I've done it before so I'm not too worried. Just frustrating that I bought a vehicle under the impression it would just be plug and play and it took this long to get an answer and it's basically that the "pre-wiring" is a joke.
Still love my EcoSport just disappointed with the lack of knowledge and false/incomplete information at purchase. I will be writing a letter to the dealership from which it was purchased as well as to Ford Motor Company.

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport SE
I love mine too. I just went to my local RV/Trailer folks and they did it all. they found the wiring, picked out the adapter, and mounted the hitch and everything else and about the same cost of just the FORD OEM harness what ever it is and where ever it lives and what ever the cost.
I tried my local Uhaul today and they won't touch the wiring because it has to be spliced and they are too afraid they'll screw up the manufacturer's warranty.....the saga continues........

I'm super close to just doing it myself. I don't want to because I have a bad back and I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong and wont be able to drive my car but one of these days I'm going to get a ticket for driving without trailer lights and my horses have to have hay....

To say the least, this experience has been super frustrating. I sent a letter to Ford in MI a week ago. Still not sure how they can advertise something as pre-wired then not make the part(s) to plug and play so the pre-wiring actually works and try to make you pay $500-$700 to have the whole damn thing installed.

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport SE
I have the draw-tite hitch on mine.
Easy to fit and when installed all you can see under the bumper is the receiver and not the frame hanging below the bumper.
As far as the trailer tow prep wiring I did find a plug under the rear drivers side it has four wires ,yellow green brown and black with yellow.
So I figure this is all I need to do is plug an extension into it that will it turn plug into the trailer.
The thing is it is a female plug with flat pins. I can not find a male plug to fit. Ford accessories web site shows a trailer tailight converter.
It should have the flat pin plug? WRONG! Also no instructions they direct you to a web site that I was not able to log in.
I just wired it up like a universal taillight converter direct to the wiring harness.
On a side note I towed with it for the first time this weekend. It did very well.
Did your tow prep wiring actually have a current running to it? I tested mine and no current....

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport SE
Did any of you actually have a current running to your Trailer Tow Prep wiring?

JHarding

What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport SE
I am to the point that I have installed the Draw Tite hitch and am trying to get the wiring working. As others have indicated, the plug included in the tow prep wiring shows no voltage when I test it. (I identified the Black with yellow stipe at the ground with an ohms tester but could pick up no voltage in any of the slots when running the turn signals). Does anyone know if this is a smart connector that is not hot unless you plug into it? If that is the case, I'll cut and splice. I currently have an appointment with Ford Service to check my wiring. Thanks

JHarding

What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport SE
I have the draw-tite hitch on mine.
Easy to fit and when installed all you can see under the bumper is the receiver and not the frame hanging below the bumper.
As far as the trailer tow prep wiring I did find a plug under the rear drivers side it has four wires ,yellow green brown and black with yellow.
So I figure this is all I need to do is plug an extension into it that will it turn plug into the trailer.
The thing is it is a female plug with flat pins. I can not find a male plug to fit. Ford accessories web site shows a trailer tailight converter.
It should have the flat pin plug? WRONG! Also no instructions they direct you to a web site that I was not able to log in.
I just wired it up like a universal taillight converter direct to the wiring harness.
On a side note I towed with it for the first time this weekend. It did very well.
Scott, when you say you "wired it up"... "direct to the wiring harness", are you referring to splicing into the wires of the "plug under the rear drivers side"? I have thought about trying this, but when I check the plug with a multi-tester it appears to be dead. Thanks

JHarding

What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport SE
I am to the point that I have installed the Draw Tite hitch and am trying to get the wiring working. As others have indicated, the plug included in the tow prep wiring shows no voltage when I test it. (I identified the Black with yellow stipe at the ground with an ohms tester but could pick up no voltage in any of the slots when running the turn signals). Does anyone know if this is a smart connector that is not hot unless you plug into it? If that is the case, I'll cut and splice. I currently have an appointment with Ford Service to check my wiring. Thanks
Well, Moses Ford in St. Albans called just before my appointment to see if the service department could find out why the plug seems to be dead to cancel it. They told me that they were assured they had the right part ordered to plug into the prep wiring and get me on the road. I went to pick up the harness and, nope, did not fit. My dealer is really being great about it. I believe they are doing all they can do. They are supposed to call me tomorrow after they get with the service department and set up a new appointment. It still frustrates me that there is apparently no chance of corporate help. You would thing that ALL information about their products would be available somewhere. I feel there is really no excuse for this. Corporate is really leaving their dealers swinging in the wind. I wonder if all car companies are this ambivalent about the needs of the consumer.

ttri

What I Drive
2018 Ford Ecosport
Scott, when you say you "wired it up"... "direct to the wiring harness", are you referring to splicing into the wires of the "plug under the rear drivers side"? I have thought about trying this, but when I check the plug with a multi-tester it appears to be dead. Thanks
Scott, I have the exact same question. With blinkers on, no voltage at the 4-way flat connectors under the driver side rear bumper. If you "wired it up direct to the harness" did you also run a line to the battery to get power? What part # did you use? Thanks!

roemmelt

State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 EcoSport SES
Ok let's give this towing thing a test. Made the trip from Northern Virginia to Abingdon (about 350 miles) mainly on I66 and I81. My Ecosport titanium occasioonally struggled on inclines but I did maintain about 55-60 MPH. My milage towing my empty 5 x 8 Holmes Utility trailer (Class 2 - about 800 pounds) dropped dropped from my normal 27-28 MPG to a little over 20. A friend "gifted" me a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 450 (about another 800 pounds) and today I loaded it up for the trip back. I was getting some trailer whiplash over 45 MPH but it was fine at 45 and below. MPG was about 22. When I got the trailer from pickup to his house I checked the tire pressure it was 20 in both tires. I've now inflated them to 50 PSI and we'll see what happens tomorrow on the way home. I've decided that if 45 MPH is my limit then I'm gonna drive US 11 to RT 55 back to my house (another 350 miles) the hills are a bit problematic but I never exceeded 45 MPH and 4200 RPMs. I'll report how the return trip tomorrow. Pictures attached.

Attachments

JHarding

What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport SE
If you don’t mind my asking, how did you go about having your EcoSport trailer wiring done? Thanks.

roemmelt

State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 EcoSport SES
If you don’t mind my asking, how did you go about having your EcoSport trailer wiring done? Thanks.
I just went to my local RV/trailer company ( http://www.restlesswheelsrvs.com/ ) and the lad crawled under the back, found the pre-wired stub and told me they'd splice a 4 wire pigtail to the prewire and install everything when they installed the hitch. quick and no worries. My local Ford dealer and parts department had no clue (or part numbers) but my guys has all the parts on the display rack! All in all it was less than the cost of Ford to buy and install.

Attachments

cuemark8

I have considered an aftermarket tow hitch.
Ford shows an OEM hitch available. Even lists a part number. Does not seem be available anywhere in inventory anywhere in US and back ordered. Unknown, if ever, when it will be available.
U-haul offer hitches. I got a quote on 2 different ones they will install it at U-haul. Actually crazy cheap!
I live in Pennsylvania and in Johnstown,PA there is a large U-haul store. They install all kind did hitches for all kind did vehicles. Often their business is dealerships bringing in new vehicles because a customer wanted a hitch installed upon purchase.
I have yet make the purchase for a hitch. I'd like to have it but also not something I must have.
My vehicle is a 2019 Titanium FWD 1.0L Ecoboost so I'm limited to just 1400lbs towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

roemmelt

State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 EcoSport SES
I have considered an aftermarket tow hitch.
Ford shows an OEM hitch available. Even lists a part number. Does not seem be available anywhere in inventory anywhere in US and back ordered. Unknown, if ever, when it will be available.
U-haul offer hitches. I got a quote on 2 different ones they will install it at U-haul. Actually crazy cheap!
I live in Pennsylvania and in Johnstown,PA there is a large U-haul store. They install all kind did hitches for all kind did vehicles. Often their business is dealerships bringing in new vehicles because a customer wanted a hitch installed upon purchase.
I have yet make the purchase for a hitch. I'd like to have it but also not something I must have.
My vehicle is a 2019 Titanium FWD 1.0L Ecoboost so I'm limited to just 1400lbs towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
My only suggestion is to make sure you get some good feedback on whomever you get to do the install. My guys were highly rated by my salesman and on the 'Net. If your UHaul outfit matches volume with quality service - go for it.

Billh

City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 ecosport
Going through this now with my dealer, they have the plug and converter from ford parts. The converter requires a reflash of the computer to work. Will advise how it goes. If you need the harness or converter, call Wes at parts Ocala Ford he knows what it takes.

City
Fairfax
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ecosport Titanium 2.0 4wd
I have the Curt hitch installed on mine. Chose the curt over draw tite because its made in the US and its mounting points give it a stronger bond.

autonoob

City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Ecosport
Is it possible to use a tow hitch for small cars? I thought that it will work on trucks and SUV. :oops:

cuemark8

Digging up this old thread. Who all installed a tow hitch on the Ecosport?

What brand did you use?
Draw Tite?
Curt?

I've been wanting to put a trailer tow hitch on my Ford ecosport pretty much since it's been new. Format ridiculously complex to install the trailer wiring. I drive high miles in my ecosport is now out of warranty.
Why does my Memorial weekend projects was to install the trailer wiring.
I did that today I am an electrician. you have to splice into some wiring it's not that complex the only thing is is you got to tear apart a lot of interior panels to get to the wiring.

Anyways I've had the trailer tow wiring from Ford for a long time probably going on a year.
Now that that's done I just curious as to what kind of hitch I should get?

I've looked at my local U-Haul I think they install curt hitches. also searching the U-Haul website I find draw Tite and curt hitches. Both are class 2 hitch is capable of 3500 lb. Which is way more adequate than what I need.

I only have the front wheel drive 1.0 l EcoBoost. I'm limited to 1400 lb towing.
I have a small trailer I used
to go get mulch and stuff like that.

I just wanted some ideas what to go with. There is a U-Haul dealer fairly close to me that is extremely popular for installing aftermarket hitches. Even a lot of dealerships go to them to have a hitch installed whenever a customer requests it for a new vehicle.
They do good work and I had a notion to buy it and just let them install it..I can do it myself but I don't have a lift I would be laying on the floor trying to install it.

The fact that I have the front wheel drive version actually makes the install easier. I've read the installation instructions in PDF. if you had the four-wheel-drive version you have to cut and notch the rear fascia. You also have to lower an exhaust hanger. Neither seem to be applicable if you have the front wheel drive model.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cuemark8

Finally installed my hitch. Went with a DrawTite Hitch. Model 36660. Class 2 rated for 3500lbs. Way more than adequate for the Ecosport.
Bought the Curt Euro style ball mount.

Waited till warranty was over. I did the wiring myself. Complex, not to difficult, just have remove most interior panels and trim and need to run a separate circuit to the battery, that's the hard part. Wiring is fairly straightforward. I used the Ford OEM trailer wiring harness.

FYI, I can't upload a pic or I'd show the Hitch install.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk