Replacement Tires to Enhance Ride Comfort?

Reactions
I have done some research online (Tirerack.com, etc) but wondering if anyone has butt-in-seat experience with alternate tires vs OEM that provide a smoother ride and/or less road noise. I don't need go-kart like handling, just looking for an enhancement to up the comfort level a notch.

Harvick

Reactions
When I had my Focus, I switched from Pirelli to Continental ExtremeContact and they were much quieter, I plan on doing the same with the Ecosport when the tires wear down.

OP
Titanium4WD
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
That's funny - I will be going from a Focus to the Ecosport when the lease is up. Really want the Ecosport but am looking to polish a few of the rough edges.

Reactions
The other option is to go down to a 16" wheel and get taller tires for more comfort.

OP
Titanium4WD
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I did something called upsizing (I think) on a previous car that seemed to work well. An option here?

Reactions
The SES and Titanium come standard with 17". All other other trims come with 16". I can tell you from test driving the 16" its seems a bit smoother but its not that noticeable. I ended up getting the SES with 17" and the ride is quality great.

snowman

Reactions
I'm running 17" too, no problems with comfort. Do you feel it's just too harsh or too noisy?

OP
Titanium4WD
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Not necessarily, just always interested in ways to minimize NVH in smaller vehicles.

Koko07

Reactions
Not sure why Ford would put low profile tires on an SUV. My size is 205/50R17. I do not want to go to a smaller tire, 16. I want to keep my wheels that I have, 17. I want an TALLER tire on this 17 wheel. Is there anyway to go to 205/65R17 or 215/70R17 etc? All the tables are concerned with MATCHING the size tire to keep the speedo correct. I do not care about that. I want more tire and air between me and the road.